On Mon, Mar 11, 2024 at 7:45 AM Alexandre Cariage <a...@sight-sound.ch>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Quickly :
>
> I'm looking to allow users to connect through OpenID Connect, and use the
> same credentials *inside the connection itself*, to open a Windows
> session with RDP.
>
> I.e., the Guacamole authentication is made by OpenID, and, through RDP,
> the Windows session open with the OpenID credentials too, allowing for a
> seamless login with the creation of an OpenID user only.
>
> Can Guacamole pass credentials this way ?

No, not quite this simply, anyway - this is a "limitation" of OpenID - but
really more of a design feature. One of the key purposes of SSO is that
there is no need for the sensitive credentials to be passed around from
application to application. Because of this, OpenID, once it authenticates
the user, does not provide any way for those credentials - the password,
specifically - to be retrieved, which means Guacamole doesn't even know the
password to be able to pass them on. The username should be known, and,
assuming the OpenID username matches the RDP username, that part should
work.

> If not, is there any other way to edit credentials on the fly (in other
> words, pass "Username" and "Password" fields of an RDP Connection in
> Guacamole as the connection is launched) ?

Yes, if you leave the username and/or password fields blank, Guacamole will
prompt you for the missing credentials at the time the connection is
launched.

The other option is to use a kev vault - currently Keeper Secrets Manager
is the only one supported - to retrieve secrets on-the-fly, but that
requires that you have that up and running in your environment, or that you
implement another key vault.