You don't need to touch the code related protocol-buffer records at all as
there are java-native interfaces for everything, for e.g. -
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.api.AMRMProtocol.

Regarding your question - The JobClient first obtains the locations of DFS
blocks via the InputFormat.getSplits() and uploads the accumulated information
into a split file, see Job.submitInternal() ->  JobSubmitter.writeSplits() ->

The MR AM then downloads and reads the split file and reconstructs the
splits-information and creates TaskAttempts(TAs) which then use it request
containers. See MRAppMaster code: JobImpl.InitTransition for how TAs are
created with host information.

HTH,

+Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli
Hortonworks Inc.