The other question you have to look at is the underlying start and stop script
to see what is being passed on to them.

I thought there was a parameter that would overload the defaults where you
specified the slaves and master files, but I could be wrong.

Since this is raw Apache, I don't think that it sets up scripts in each
machine's /etc/init.d directory, or does it?

If it does, then you may just want to roll your own start and stop script and
then make sure that the admins have sudo privileges to run those scripts.