Yep, moving the NN to the secondary larger disk seems to have improved it.
Thanks again for your great help Harsh (and others).

Cheers!

On Sep 7, 2012, at 08:31 , Harsh J wrote:

> The issue was that Keith's NN was out of resources (low disk space)
> and that forced the NN into safemode. This was detected on another
> thread from him.
>
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Dino Kečo <dino.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Keith,
>>
>> I was having same problem on my small cluster and some blocks where missing
>> on DFS. I have used this command
>>
>> hadoop dfsadmin -safemode leave
>>
>> and after that i have run dfs disk check to see which files are corrupted.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Dino Kečo
>> msn: xdi...@hotmail.com
>> mail: dino.k...@gmail.com
>> skype: dino.keco
>> phone: +387 61 507 851
>>

>> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 12:13 AM, Adam Brown <a...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> sorry
>>>
>>> @Keith
>>>
>>> are you sure your datanodes have reported in?

Keith Wiley     kwi...@keithwiley.com     keithwiley.com    music.keithwiley.com

"Yet mark his perfect self-contentment, and hence learn his lesson, that to be
self-contented is to be vile and ignorant, and that to aspire is better than to
be blindly and impotently happy."
                                           --  Edwin A. Abbott, Flatland