Why is it that when anyone asks a question about IBM Tom wants to take it off
line?

Not very social.

I personally find it interesting that IBM requires that their products are tied
to IBM's JVM.

I also wonder about the cost of running Hadoop on the mainframe.
(Linux LPARs while cheaper, still cost mips. ) [Forgive me, its been a while
since I spoke mainframe]

So what's the real advantage from an architecture point of view?