You need a stronger authentication method (Kerberos), period. It isn't
just fs -ls / you should be scared
about. Read Natty's post here, on what it means to run an insecure
cluster when you have secure requirements:
http://www.cloudera.com/blog/2012/03/authorization-and-authentication-in-hadoop/.
Firewalls can only help so much in multi-user environments.

--
Harsh J