The question is not how to sequence all. Cascading could indeed help in
that case.

But how to skip the map phase and do the split/local sort directly at the
end of the reduce so that the next reduce need only to do a merge on the
sorted files obtained from the previous reduce. This is basically a
performance optimization (avoid unnecessary network/disk transfers).
Cascading is not equipped to do it, it will only compile the flow into a
sequence of map-reduce.

Regards

Bertrand

--