Have you tried hadoop fs -chmod a+rwx /tmp

From: Arun C Murthy [mailto:a...@hortonworks.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 3:11 PM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Sticky Bit Problem (CDH4.1)

Pls ask Cloudera lists...

On Nov 7, 2012, at 9:57 AM, Brian Derickson wrote:

Hey all,

When setting up the namenode, some of the commands that we run are:
hadoop fs -mkdir /tmp
hadoop fs -chmod -R 1777 /tmp

This has worked for previous CDH releases of Hadoop.

We recently upgraded our test cluster to CDH 4.1 and the chmod no longer works.

sudo -u hdfs hadoop fs -chmod -R 1777 /tmp
chmod: chmod : mode '1777' does not match the expected pattern.

sudo -u hdfs hadoop fs -chmod -R +t /tmp
chmod: chmod : mode '+t' does not match the expected pattern.

This disagrees with the docs here:
https://ccp.cloudera.com/display/CDH4DOC/Deploying+MapReduce+v1+%28MRv1%29+on+a+Cluster#DeployingMapReducev1%28MRv1%29onaCluster-Step7

Has anyone else encountered this? Let me know if you need more information, and
thanks for your time.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments are confidential, subject to
copyright and may be privileged. Any unauthorized use, copying or disclosure is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete and contact
the sender immediately. Please consider the environment before printing this
e-mail. AVIS : le pr?sent courriel et toute pi?ce jointe qui l'accompagne sont
confidentiels, prot?g?s par le droit d'auteur et peuvent ?tre couverts par le
secret professionnel. Toute utilisation, copie ou divulgation non autoris?e est
interdite. Si vous n'?tes pas le destinataire pr?vu de ce courriel,
supprimez-le et contactez imm?diatement l'exp?diteur. Veuillez penser ?
l'environnement avant d'imprimer le pr?sent courriel