I'd also check the SequenceFile compression type
(io.seqfile.compression.type). By default this is set to RECORD, and if
needed, should ideally be set to BLOCK (or NONE if not desired).

Also, how are you comparing the "raw" read of 70mb/s? Is it by using hdfs
-cat? If so, what happens if you change it to hdfs -text? Does the read
rate slow down as well or is the 70mb/s sustained?

-Michael