Hi,

AFAIK, the mapred.local.dir property refers to a set of directories under
which different types of data related to mapreduce jobs are stored - for
e.g. intermediate data, localized files for a job etc. The working
directory for a mapreduce job is configured under a sub directory within
one of the directories configured in this property.

The workingDir property of the FileSystem class simply seems to indicate
the working directory for a given filesystem as set by applications.

They don't seem very related per se, unless I am missing something ?

Thanks
Hemanth