Hello Sameer,

     Pl find my comments embedded below :

Warm Regards,
Tariq
https://mtariq.jux.com/
cloudfront.blogspot.com

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Sameer Jain
<sameer.j...@evalueserve.com>wrote:

>   Hi,
>

> I am trying to understand the different data analysis algorithms available
> in the market. Analyst opinion suggests that Informatica and Hadoop have
> the best offerings in this space.
>

> However, I am not very clear as to how the two are different and how they
> compete, because Hadoop is being used by IBM etc. Since you appear to be a
> fairly seasoned expert in this domain, I would like to get your perspective
> on the following:
>

> I would hugely appreciate any thoughts/insights around
>
> ·         The workings of Hadoop/Mapreduce
>
>>Hadoop is an open source platform that allows
us to store and process huge, really huge, amount
of data over a network of machines(need not be
very sophisticated). It has 2 layers viz : HDFS &
MapReduce for storage & processing respectively.

> ·         Informatica’s product offering
>
>>They can tell you better. This list is specific to
Hadoop ecosystem.

>  ·         A comparison of which one of these is better
>
>>Depends upon the particular use case. One size
doesn't fit all.

>  ·         A view of can and/or is Hadoop in competition with Informatica.
>
>>I don't think so. Informatica is basically an ETL thing(if I
am not wrong), while we leverage Hadoop's power to create
ETL tools with the Help of different Hadoop sub projects.
Though it is possible to use them together.