Also, you may have to adjust your algorithms.

For instance, the conventional standard algorithm for SVD is a Lanczos
iterative algorithm.  Iteration in Hadoop is death because of job
invocation time ... what you wind up with is an algorithm that will handle
big data but with a slow-down factor that makes a single node perform at
the same level as 100 Hadoop nodes or more.  Scaling with iterative
algorithms like this is irrelevant because of the enormous fixed cost.

On the other hand, you can switch to some of the recently developed
stochastic projection algorithms which give a non-iterative algorithm that
requires 4-7 map-reduce steps (depending on which outputs you need).  With
these projection algorithms, Hadoop can out-run other techniques even with
quite modest cluster sizes and will scale linearly.