The local filesystem has no sense of being 'distributed'. If you run a
distributed mode of Hadoop over file:// (Local FS), then unless the
file:// points being used itself is distributed (such as an NFS), then
your jobs will fail their tasks on all the nodes the referenced files
cannot be found on.

Essentially, for a distributed operation, MR relies on a distributed
file system and local filesystem is opposite of that.

--
Harsh J