Hello,

    I have been able to make this work. I don't know why, but when but
input file is zipped (read as a input stream) it creates only 1 mapper.
However, when it's not zipped, it creates more mappers (running 3 instances
it created 4 mappers and running 5 instances, it created 8 mappers).
    I really would like to know why this happens and even with this number
of mappers, I would like to know why more mappers aren't created. I was
reading part of the book "Hadoop - The definitive guide" (
https://www.inkling.com/read/hadoop-definitive-guide-tom-white-3rd/chapter-7/input-formats)
which says:

"The JobClient calls the getSplits() method, passing the desired number of
map tasks as the numSplits argument. This number is treated as a hint, as
InputFormat implementations are free to return a different number of splits
to the number specified in numSplits. Having calculated the splits, the
client sends them to the jobtracker, which uses their storage locations to
schedule map tasks to process them on the tasktrackers. ..."

     I am not sure on how to get more info.

     Would you recommend me to try to find the answer on the book? Or
should I read hadoop source code directly?

Best regards,
Marcelo.

--
Marcelo Elias Del Valle