Could you send us the log messages (with timestamps) which you think
is behind the behavior you see? The new edit log format is different
than the one in 1.x, and uses several smaller edit log files. This new
format is described in PDFs attached at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-1073, and the logs may mean
that the NN just opened a new file and closed the older transactions
file.

--
Harsh J