Don't use 'localhost' as your host name.  For example, if you wanted to use
the name 'node'; add another line to your hosts file like:

127.0.1.1 node.domain.local node

Then change all the host references in your configuration files to 'node'
-- also, don't forget to change the master/slave files as well.

Now, if you decide to use an external address it would need to be static.
This is easy to do, just follow this guide
http://www.howtoforge.com/linux-basics-set-a-static-ip-on-ubuntu
and replace '127.0.1.1' with whatever external address you decide on.