While upgrading is safe and works, note that 0.20.2 -> 1.0.4 is not
backwards compatible. That is, existing 0.20.2 clients may fail to work
with 1.0.4 services, if left un-upgraded as well.

Regarding specifying a great length of delay in block reports, it may
affect a few operations that depend on most current block info at the
NameNode, but I can't imagine a very critical issue being caused as a
result of that. You should be OK (afaik) but certainly either apply
HDFS-2379, or upgrade, soon.

--
Harsh J