Yes, this is exactly the DistributedShell example in the 2.0.3 source (except for the added specification of containerNode).

So, it's doing the following:
          ContainerRequest containerAsk = setupContainerAskForRM(askCount);
          resourceManager.addContainerRequest(containerAsk);

        // Send the request to RM
        LOG.info("Asking RM for containers" + ", askCount=" + askCount);
        AMResponse amResp = sendContainerAskToRM();

FYI - the sendContainerAskToRM calls the allocate(progress).

I don't see any NPEs in the resourcemanager's logs.

Regards,
Brian