is such that keys are skewed then most of the records may go to same reducer.

Regards,
Ajay Srivastava

On 17-Apr-2013, at 11:08 AM,
<bejoy.had...@gmail.com<mailto:bejoy.had...@gmail.com>>
 <bejoy.had...@gmail.com<mailto:bejoy.had...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Uniform Data distribution across HDFS is one of the factor that ensures map
tasks are uniformly distributed across nodes. But reduce tasks doesn't depend
on data distribution it is purely based on slot availability.
Regards
Bejoy KS

________________________________
From: Mohammad Tariq <donta...@gmail.com<mailto:donta...@gmail.com>>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 10:46:27 +0530
To:
user@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:user@hadoop.apache.org><user@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:user@hadoop.apache.org>>;
 Bejoy Ks<bejoy.had...@gmail.com<mailto:bejoy.had...@gmail.com>>
Subject: Re: How to balance reduce job

Just to add to Bejoy's comments, it also depends on the data distribution. Is
your data properly distributed across the HDFS?

Warm Regards,
Tariq
https://mtariq.jux.com/
cloudfront.blogspot.com<http://cloudfront.blogspot.com/>

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM,
<bejoy.had...@gmail.com<mailto:bejoy.had...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi Rauljin

Few things to check here.
What is the number of reduce slots in each Task Tracker? What is the number of
reduce tasks for your job?
Based on the availability of slots the reduce tasks are scheduled on TTs.

You can do the following
Set the number of reduce tasks to 8 or more.
Play with the number of slots (not very advisable for tweaking this on a job
level )

The reducers are scheduled purely based on the slot availability so it won't be
that easy to ensure that all TT are evenly loaded with same number of reducers.
Regards
Bejoy KS