thanks. that is the issue, there is no other log files. when i go to the attempt directory of that failed map task (e.g. userlogs/job_201304191712_0015/attempt_201304191712_0015_m_000019_0 ) it is empty. there is no other log file. thou based on the counter value, I can say that it happens right at the beginning of the map task (counter is only 1 )