if you do not put namenode in safemode that means your namenode can still
accept request to write or delete files from hdfs. This may cause your
snapshot to be a problematic in case you want to restore from it. Safemode
is just an ensuring point that you have a standstill image to snapshot.

--
Nitin Pawar