From: Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli [mailto:vino...@hortonworks.com]
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2013 11:08 AM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Distribution of native executables and data for YARN-based
execution

I have a little bit of conflict of interest given I worked on Hadoop YARN all
time but..

I have worked on torque/condor based resource management systems too. There are
many advantages of working on top of YARN, a couple that should be specifically
relevant here:
 - MR and non MR all on same cluster (there are a few not-so-ready MR
implementations on existing schedulers but with lots of limitations)
 - Data locality feature that is native in Hadoop YARN and hard to simulate in
other schedulers (we have experience trying this in the past)
 - Elastic resource managements - jobs can grow and shrink elastically

Thanks,
+Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/