Notes below

From: Raj Hadoop <hadoop...@yahoo.com<mailto:hadoop...@yahoo.com>>
Date: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:49 AM
To: Dean Wampler <deanwamp...@gmail.com<mailto:deanwamp...@gmail.com>>,
"u...@hive.apache.org<mailto:u...@hive.apache.org>"
<u...@hive.apache.org<mailto:u...@hive.apache.org>>
Cc: User <user@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:user@hadoop.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: hive.metastore.warehouse.dir - Should it point to a physical
directory

Ok.I got it. My questions -

1) Should a local physical directory be created before using this property?
I created a directory in HDFS during Hive installation
/user/hive/warehouse

My hive-site.xml has the following property defined

<property>
  <name>hive.metastore.warehouse.dir</name>
  <value>/user/hive/warehouse</value>
  <description>location of default database for the warehouse</description>
</property>

2) Should a HDFS file directory be created from Hadoop before using this
property?
hdfs dfs -mkdir /user/hive/warehouse
Change the owner:group to hive:hive