Hi Ted,

2013-05-23 19:28:19,937 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode: Caching file names
occuring more than 10 times
2013-05-23 19:28:26,801 INFO org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server: IPC Server
handler 28 on 9000: starting

There are a couple of relevant activities that happen during namenode
startup in between these 2 log statements.  It loads the current fsimage
(persistent copy of file system metadata), merges in the edits log
(transaction log containing all file system metadata changes since the last
checkpoint), and then saves back a new fsimage file after that merge.
 Current versions of the Hadoop codebase will print some information to
logs about the volume of activity during this checkpointing process, so I
recommend looking for that in your logs to see if this explains it.
 Depending on whether or not your have a large number of transactions
queued since your last checkpoint, this whole process can cause namenode
startup to take several minutes.

If this becomes a regular problem, then you can run SecondaryNameNode or
BackupNode to perform periodic checkpoints in addition to the checkpoint
that occurs on namenode restart.  This is probably overkill for a dev
environment on your laptop though.

Hope this helps,

Chris Nauroth
Hortonworks