I've executed the commands as you've said, and the jar that is run is
unchanged. Here's exactly what I did.

C:\l\> start-dfs
C:\l\> start-yarn
C:\l\> cd
hadoop-yarn-project\hadoop-yarn\hadoop-yarn-applications\hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell
C:\l\hadoop-yarn-project\hadoop-yarn\hadoop-yarn-applications\hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell>hadoop
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.applications.distributedshell.Client -jar
target\hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
-shell_command whoami
...output...
...modify logging code in
C:/l/hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/yarn/applications/distributedshell/Client.java
C:\l\hadoop-yarn-project\hadoop-yarn\hadoop-yarn-applications\hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell>mvn
clean install -DskipTests
C:\l\hadoop-yarn-project\hadoop-yarn\hadoop-yarn-applications\hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell>hadoop
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.applications.distributedshell.Client -jar
target\hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
-shell_command whoami
...identical output to before...

Do you see anything wrong with what I've done?

Thanks,
Curtis