Hi,

I am in the process of developing a framework around Hadoop that enables
RabbitMQ messages to be persisted in HDFS. The messages will continuously
stream into the system, as they are stock prices or weather data etc.
Unfortunately it looks like I will not be able to append to a file in HDFS
version 1.x.x. as per:

HADOOP-8230. Major improvement reported by eli2 and fixed by eli
Enable sync by default and disable append
Append is not supported in Hadoop 1.x. Please upgrade to 2.x if you need
append. If you enabled dfs.support.append for HBase, you're OK, as durable sync
(why HBase required dfs.support.append) is now enabled by default. If you
really need the previous functionality, to turn on the append functionality set
the flag "dfs.support.broken.append" to true.

Link: http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.1.1/releasenotes.html

Could anyone please elaborate on this release note message? Why is it possible
for HBase to append? Can I create a program somehow that is able to safely and
robustly append to files?

I am running HortonWorks Windows distribution (that is Hadoop version 1.1.0) on
a cluster of 3 machines.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Kind Regards,

Thomas