"can be set at the time I load the file to the HDFS (that is, it is the
client side setting)? "
I don't think you can do this while reading. These are done at the time of
writing.

You can do it like this (the example is for CLI as evident):

hadoop fs -D fs.local.block.size=134217728 -put local_name remote_location

Same is applicable with replication property.

So given that, you I think you have to modify the FileOutputFormat (and
other 'writing' classes) to allow these to be configurable at the time
files are being generated by M/R

Regards,
Shahab