Other than the short term solutions that others have proposed, Apache Tez
solves this exact problem. It can M-M-R-R-R chains, and mult-way mappers and
reducers, and your own custom processors - all without persisting the
intermediate outputs to HDFS.

It works on top of YARN, though the first release of Tez is yet to happen.

You can learn about it more here: http://tez.incubator.apache.org/

HTH,
+Vinod

--