Hi Sai,

What Viji indicated is that the default Apache Hadoop setting for any
input is 2 maps. If the input is larger than one block, regular
policies of splitting such as those stated by Shekhar would apply. But
for smaller inputs, just for an out-of-box "parallelism experience",
Hadoop ships with a 2-maps forced splitting default
(mapred.map.tasks=2).

This means your 5 lines is probably divided as 2:3 or other ratios and
is processed by 2 different Tasks. As Viji also indicated, to turn off
this behavior, you can set the mapred.map.tasks to 1 in your configs
and then you'll see only one map task process all 5 lines.

--
Harsh J