It was my understanding that HortonWorks depended on CygWin (UNIX emulation
on Windows) for most of the "Bigtop" family of tools - Hadoop core,
MapReduce, etc. - so, you will probably make all your configuration files
in Windows, since XML is agnostic, and can develop in Windows, since JARs
and other Java constructs are agnostic by design, but when things are
actually happening on your cluster, CygWin is in the middle. For a
framework like Hadoop, I question the wisdom of deciding to use a host
environment that uses more memory to begin with, then adding an emulation
layer that complicates things and takes still more memory (since most
Hadoop constraints are memory-based) simply for the convenience of being
able to use my mouse.

If you have a competent *NIX admin, you may consider the benefits of using
Hadoop in Linux/UNIX, and leveraging the many web-based management tools
(usually will come with a Hadoop distribution) and 3rd-party development
tools from Informatica or Pentaho (let you build MapReduce, Pig, etc jobs
in GUI) rather than going the Windows route - not only are you using
hardware resources better, you also don't need to worry about licensing,
and you won't need to reboot your cluster every Patch Tuesday. :-)

Thanks!

*Devin Suiter*
Jr. Data Solutions Software Engineer
Google Voice: 412-256-8556 | www.rdx.com