If you dont need line by line but you want to get a number of lines
together, use NLineInputFormat. If you dont want to split at all, override
isSplitable in FileInputFormat. Or you can use FileInputFormat, get each
line as key/value and compute over it, saving the results and emitting only
as necessary.

I am not sure what your use case is, but I hope the above helps.

Best Regards,
Sonal

<http://in.linkedin.com/in/sonalgoyal>