Thanks!
john

From: Arun C Murthy [mailto:a...@hortonworks.com]
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2013 7:25 PM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: worker affinity and YARN scheduling

On Nov 11, 2013, at 6:28 AM, John Lilley
<john.lil...@redpoint.net<mailto:john.lil...@redpoint.net>> wrote:

I would like to better understand YARN's scheduling with named workers and
relaxedLocality==true.  For example, suppose that I have a three-node cluster
with nodes A,B,C.  Each node has capacity to run two tasks of the kind I desire
simultaneously.  My AM then requests nine containers with worker-name set so
that I am requesting three containers per worker.  The cluster starts idle and
has no other users.  My questions:
*         Is it optimal to issue three ResourceRequests, each with
numContainers==3?   (As opposed to nine requests)

Correct, that is why the resource protocol is designed as it is i.e. reduce
#requests required.

*         Initially, I expect the RM to allocate two containers per node, and I
expect to have the containers match the named workers.  Is this always the case?

Generally - yes. It does depend on the scheduler implementation though.

*         If the first task completes on worker "B", can I rely on the
ResourceRequest for "B" to be fulfilled next?

Generally - yes.

*         What techniques should be used to get the containers on the workers I
expect most often?

Nothing special, you could use relaxLocality = false if you really want it on a
specific node/rack.

*         What techniques should be used to reduce container allocation
latency, if possible?

Typically, latency is very small - there are some ongoing enhancements to make
it better.

hth,
Arun

Thanks
John

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
printing, copying, dissemination, distribution, disclosure or forwarding of
communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete it
from your system. Thank You.