From: shaposh...@gmail.com [mailto:shaposh...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Roman
Shaposhnik
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2013 11:46 AM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: libhdfs v. 2.2 64-bit

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 7:14 AM, Pastrana, Rodrigo (RIS-BCT)
<rodrigo.pastr...@lexisnexis.com> wrote:
> So apparently the v2.2-beta apache Hadoop 2.2 tar file no longer
> contains 64bit version of libhdfs as reported here:
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9911).
>
> Does anybody know if there are any plans to include the 64bit libs in
> the distribution? Any ideas where to search for future packaging plans?
> Thanks.

For packaging needs you can either pick Bigtop distribution for your favorite
Linux system, or pick the distro of one of the vendors. That will have all the
native libraries built *exactly* for the OS you have.

The reason native bits are hard to manage as part of Hadoop release process is
that you actually would have to build them on a the lowest common denominator
of Linux OSes (CentOS 5 perhaps) to have a passing chance of being compatible.
And even then I've seen things like libssl break compatibility (which is not
surprising since at this point there are deployment of Hadoop on Linux distros
that are more than 7 years apart).

Thanks,
Roman.

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only
for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named
above. This message may be an attorney-client communication and/or
work product and as such is privileged and confidential. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent
responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that you have received this document in error and
that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and
delete the original message.