Hi Daniel,

first of all, before posting to a mailing list, take a deep breath and
let your frustrations out. Then write the email. Using words like
"crappy", "toxicware", "nightmare" are not going to help you getting
useful responses.

While I agree that the docs can be confusing, we should try to stay
constructive. You haven't  mentioned which documentation you are
using. I found the cluster tutorial sufficient to get me started:
http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/ClusterSetup.html

If you are looking for an easy way to spin up a small cluster with
hadoop 2.2, try the hadoop2 branch of this vagrant setup:

https://github.com/fs111/vagrant-hadoop-cluster/tree/hadoop2

- André

--
André Kelpe