Nikhil,

One of the problems you run into with Hadoop in Virtual Machine
environments is performance issues when they are all running on the same
physical host. With a VM, even though you are giving them 4 GB of RAM, and
a virtual CPU and disk, if the virtual machines are sharing physical
components like processor and physical storage medium, they compete for
resources at the physical level. Even if you have the VM on a single host,
or on a multi-core host with multiple disks and they are sharing as few
resources as possible, there will still be a performance hit when the VM
information has to pass through the hypervisor layer - co-scheduling
resources with the host and things like that.

Does that make sense?

It's generally accepted that due to these issues, Hadoop in virtual
environments does not offer the same performance benefits as a physical
Hadoop cluster. It can be used pretty well with even low-quality hardware
though, so so, maybe you can acquire some used desktops and install your
favorite Linux flavor on them and make a cluster - some people have even
run Hadoop on Raspberry Pi clusters.

*Devin Suiter*
Jr. Data Solutions Software Engineer
Google Voice: 412-256-8556 | www.rdx.com