Hi,

I just want to throw out a discussion topic on federation.

Reading *The Definitive Guide* on HDFS, it sounds like when federating,
every distinct namespace needs a distinct namenode machine instance.

This means if a company wanted three namespaces, say retail, commercial,
government, they would have to have a host machine (or machine pair for
high-availability) for each one, so 3 (pair) namenode hosts?

What if a company was hosting client data? Say they had 20 clients
accessing a cluster. 20 namespaces minimum, would mean 20 servers just for
namenodes?

At what point in this situation would it become practical to begin
virtualizing namenodes on a high-powered virtualization cluster? I think
there would be some calculation that would go into as to the expected size
of the namespace partition vs. block density vs. memory...there would also
be the obvious question of resource contention and overall system drag
caused by that...

What do other community members think?

*Devin Suiter*
Jr. Data Solutions Software Engineer