The version of EmptyInputFormat available in the tarball (I downloaded CDH4 if
that matteres) uses mapred, not mapreduce, and therefore is not compatible with
calls to setInputFormatClass(), so I attempted to extrapolate the pattern of
the old code to an updated version.  The class I created can be passed to
setInputFormatClass() without a compile error, and the Hadoop job runs...but
the job uses 0 mappers!  The map class isn't called at all, a map slot isn't
even allocated to the job.  Clearly, this was not my intent.  Any help?  Here's
what I put together:

import java.io.IOException;
import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.List;

import org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.InputFormat;
import org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.InputSplit;
import org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.JobContext;
import org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.RecordReader;
import org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.TaskAttemptContext;

/**
 * InputFormat which simulates the absence of input data by returning zero
split.
* @param <V>
* @param <K>
 */
public class EmptyInputFormat<V, K> extends InputFormat<K, V> {
        @Override
        public List<InputSplit> getSplits(JobContext arg0) throws IOException,
                        InterruptedException {
                return new ArrayList<InputSplit>();
        }

        @Override
        public RecordReader<K, V> createRecordReader(InputSplit arg0,
                        TaskAttemptContext arg1) throws IOException,
InterruptedException {
            return new RecordReader<K,V>() {

                        @Override
                        public void close() throws IOException { }

                        @Override
                        public K getCurrentKey() throws IOException,
InterruptedException {
                                return null;
                        }

                        @Override
                        public V getCurrentValue() throws IOException,
InterruptedException {
                                return null;
                        }

                        @Override
                        public float getProgress() throws IOException,
InterruptedException {
                                return 0;
                        }

                        @Override
                        public void initialize(InputSplit arg0,
TaskAttemptContext arg1)
                                        throws IOException,
InterruptedException {

                        }

                        @Override
                        public boolean nextKeyValue() throws IOException,
                                        InterruptedException {
                                return false;
                        }

            };
        }
}

Keith Wiley     kwi...@keithwiley.com     keithwiley.com    music.keithwiley.com

"You can scratch an itch, but you can't itch a scratch. Furthermore, an itch can
itch but a scratch can't scratch. Finally, a scratch can itch, but an itch can't
scratch. All together this implies: He scratched the itch from the scratch that
itched but would never itch the scratch from the itch that scratched."
                                           --  Keith Wiley