Yes there is. You can provide your own implementation of
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.nodemanager.DefaultContainerExecutor and
configure it as  'yarn.nodemanager.container-executor.class' property.
There you can bypass Shell and create your own way of invoking processes.
Obviously it only makes sense for testing with mini-cluster during the
development and I think that's what you meant.
I've been playing with it lately, so feel free to take a look -
https://github.com/olegz/yaya/wiki/CoreFeatures#in-jvm-container-executor.
At least you'll get some ideas out of it.

Cheers
Oleg