I mean , I tried that already. In my .bash_profile , I set up
HADOOP_HOME, HADOOP_MAPRED_HOME, HADOOP_COMMON_HOME, HADOOP_HDFS_HOME,
HADOOP_YARN_HOME, HADOOP_CONF_DIR to point to hadoop2 directory. And
similarly  I have HADOOP_PREFIX and HADOOP_HOME for hadoop-1.
So , i comment out hadoop-2 specific conf lines in .bash_profile while
running hadoop-1 and vice-versa.
And here the problem comes, that when trying to run hadoop-2 , it asks to
format the  hadoop.tmp.dir set up by hadoop-1.

Just for context- I have done fair amount of work on hadoop-1 and this is
my first attempt at hadoop-2.

--
Chandra