ok .thanks a lot that information .
As i said i am running  2 datanodes on same machine . so my haddop home has 2
conf folders .
conf and conf2  and in turn 2 hdfs-site.xml in both conf folders .
I guess dfs.replication value in hdfs-site.xml of conf folder should be 3 .
What should i have it in conf2  ? should it be 1 there ?

sorry if question sounds stupid . But i am unfamiliar with these kind of
settings ( 2 datanodes on same machine ..so having 2 conf )

 If data is split across multiple datanodes , then processing capacity would be
improved - ( thats what i guess ) since my file is only 240 KB , it occupies
only one block . It cannot use second block and remain in another datanode .
So now , does it make sense to reduce the block size so that blocks are split
between 2 datanodes —if i want to take very much advantage of multiple
datanodes .

Any advices ? Your help would be appreciated .

Best Regards,
Sindhu