We've found that much of the Hadoop samples assume that running is being done
form a cluster node, and that the connection information can be gleaned
directly from a configuration object.  However, we always run our client from a
remote computer, and our users must manually specify the NN/RM addresses and
ports.  We've found this varies maddeningly between distros and especially on
hosted virtual implementations.  Getting the wrong port results in various
inscrutable errors with red-herring messages about security.  Is there a
prescribed way to get the correct connection information more easily, like from
a web API (where at least we'd only need one address and port)?

john