Nothing is stopping you to implement cluster the way you want.
You can have storage only nodes for your HDFS and do not run tasktrackers
on them.

Start bunch of machines with High RAM and high CPUs but no storage.

Only thing to worry then would be network bandwidth to carry data from hdfs
to tasks and back to hdfs.

--
Nitin Pawar