Why it isn't appropriate to discuss too much vendor specific topics on a
vendor-neutral apache mailing list? Checkout this thread:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-mapreduce-user/201309.mbox/%3ccaj1nbzcocw1rsncf3h-ikjkk4uqxqxt7avsj-6nahq_e4dx...@mail.gmail.com%3E

You can always discuss vendor specific issues in their respective mailing
lists.

As for merging files, Yes one can use HBase but then you have to keep in
mind that you are adding overhead of development and maintenance of a
another store (i.e. HBase). If your use case could be satisfied with HDFS
alone then why not keep it simple? And given the knowledge of the
requirements that the OP provided, I think Sequence File format should work
as I suggested initially. Of course, if things get too complicated from
requirements perspective then one might try out HBase.

Regards,
Shahab