Hi,

I want to write a block placement policy that takes the size of the file being placed into account. Something like what is done in CoHadoop or BEEMR paper. I have the following questions:

1- What is srcPath in chooseTarget? Is it the path to the original un-chunked file, or it is a path to a single block, or something else? I added some code to blockplacementpolicydefault to print out the value of srcPath but the results look odd.

2- Will a simple new File(srcPath) will do?

3- I've spent time looking at hadoop source code. I can't find a way to go from srcPath in chooseTarget to a file size. Every function I think can do it, in FSNamesystem, FSDirectory, etc., is either non-public, or cannot be called from inside the blockmanagement package or blockplacement class.

How do I go from srcPath in blockplacement class to size of the file being placed?

Thank you,

AB