Thanks for the response.

Yes, I know wholeFileInputFormat. But i am not sure filename comes to map
process either as key or value. But, I think this file format reads the
contents of the file. I wish to have a inputformat that just gives filename
or list of filenames.

Also, files are very small. The wholeFileInputFormat spans one map process
per file and thus results huge number of map processes. I wish to span a
single map process per group of files.

I think I need to tweak CombineFileInputFormat's recordreader() so that it
does not read the entire file but just filename.

regards
rab

regards
Bala