It cannot run more mappers (tasks) in parallel than the underlying cores
available. Just like it cannot run multiple mappers in parallel if each
mapper's (task's) memory requirements are greater than allocated and
available container size configured on each node.

The links that I provided earlier...see the following section in that one:
Section:"Configuring YARN"

Also this:
http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2014/04/apache-hadoop-yarn-avoiding-6-time-consuming-gotchas/
Section "1. YARN Concurrency (aka “What Happened to Slots?”)"

This should help in putting things in perspective regarding how resource
allocation for each task, container and resources available on the node
relate to each other.

Regards,
Shahab