For some reason he seems intent on resetting the bad Virtual blocks, and
giving the drives another shot. From what he told me, nothing is under
warranty anymore. My first suggestion was to get rid of the disks.

Here's the command:

/opt/dell/srvadmin/bin/omconfig storage vdisk action=clearvdbadblocks
controller=1 vdisk=$vid

I'm still curious about how hadoop blocks work. I'm assuming that each
block is stored on one of the many mountpoints, and not divided between
them. I know there is a tolerated volume failure option in hdfs-site.xml.

Then if the operations I laid out are legitimate, specifically removing the
drive in question and restarting the data node. The advantage being less
re-replication and less downtime.