What you want as a sandbox depends on what you are trying to learn.

If you are trying to learn to code in e.g PigLatin, Sqooz, or similar, all
of the suggestions (perhaps excluding BigTop due to its setup complexities)
are great. Laptop? perhaps but laptop's are really kind of infuriatingly
slow (because of the hardware - you pay a price for a 30-45watt average
heating bill). A laptop is an OK place to start if it is e.g. an i5 or i7
with lots of memory. What do you think of the thought that you will pretty
quickly graduate to wanting a small'ish desktop for your sandbox?

A simple, single node, Hadoop instance will let you learn many things. The
next level of complexity comes when you are attempting to deal with data
whose processing needs to be split up, so you can learn about how to split
data in Mapping, reduce the splits via reduce jobs, etc. For that, you
could get a windows desktop box or e.g. RedHat/CentOS and use
virtualization. Something like a 4 core i5 with 32gb of memory, running 3
or for some things 4, vm's. You could load e.g. hortonworks into each of
the vm's and practice setting up a 3/4 way cluster. Throw in 2-3 1tb drives
off of eBay and you can have a lot of learning.

*.......“The race is not to the swift,nor the battle to the strong,but to
those who can see it coming and jump aside.” - Hunter ThompsonDaemeon*