Yes, I agree. We should accept people as they are.
So perhaps we should increase the hurdle to subscribe in the first place?
Something like adding a question like "What do you do if you want to
unsubscribe from a mailing list?"

That way the people who are lazy or need hand holding are simply unable to
subscribe, thus avoiding these people who send these "unsubscribe me"
messages from ever entering the list.

Niels Basjes