Check this out:
http://ofirm.wordpress.com/2014/02/01/exploring-the-hdfs-default-value-behaviour/

"It seems that the value of *dfs.block.size* is dictated directly by the
client, regarding of the cluster setting. If a value is not specified, the
client just picks the default value. This finding is not  specific to this
parameter – for example, the same thing happens with*dfs.replication* and
others…."

Regards,
Shahab